Re: Debian Jessie net installations broken for last months

Hi Floris,

Floris Bos <bos@je-eigen-domein.nl> (2019-06-03):
> We having been having problems with preseeded PXE network installations of
> Debian Jessie for the past months, while it used to work before, and other
> Debian editions do install properly.
>

> First of all our installation script used to be able to download the network
> installation files (kernel/initrd) from:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/current/
> But that folder disappeared.

This /might/ be a bug on the FTP side, or a deliberate decision on their
side. I suggest getting in touch with them:

  https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/FTPMaster

> Filled a bug report a month ago:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=928517.
> But did not receive any response.

The mirrors team deals with the mirror network, while the issue you're
seeing is likely on the contents generation side.

> Then tried the network installation files in the other folder
> "20150422+deb8u" that does still exist: http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/20150422+deb8u5/images/netboot/debian-installer/amd64/
>
> But that will fail to complete installation on servers do not have full
> Internet access.
>

> We set a custom mirror with the "d-i mirror/http/hostname" preseed option.
>
> But it also wants to download repository files from
> http://security.debian.org/ nevertheless, which will fail with a warning.
>
> It then complains that the (mirrored)
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease file does not
> have the right entries.
>
> "Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-amd64/Packages' in Release file
> (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)"
>

> The InRelease file for stretch and buster does have
> main/binary-amd64/Packages entries on the main mirror site.
>
> Any reason they are no longer there for jessie even while that release is
> not EOL yet?

I think you might find tweaking apt-setup/services-select interesting.

Cheers,