Intel X553 NICs/ixgbe netinstall issues

Target systems have A2SDi-8C-HLN4F motherboards each with 4 no. Intel
x553 NICs.

The stable netinstall ixgbe module does not load the interfaces, even
when modprobed by hand.

Buster netinstall 20190429-03:57 works fine. However I can't find a way
of downgrading the installation to "stable", as suggested at

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_install_sid_.28unstable.29_with_DebianInstaller.3F

I've tried expert mode in both console and graphical mode.

I'm not sure if the inability to downgrade the installation is a bug or
policy. If the former I'm happy to report it.

Tips on compiling the ixgbe module for stable on a machine with only a
BMC and no NICs gratefully received; else how to downgrade a testing
netinstall to stable.

Thanks very much
Rory