[jessie RC1] wireless LAN card not usable, problem with loading/using firmware

Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de> wrote:
> I have a laptop here which needs firmware for the wireless LAN card
> Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (PCI-ID: 8086:1043).
>
> It seems the process of requesting, loading and using firmware is not fully
> functional:
> When it comes to the d-i step "Detecting network hardware", there is lot of
> output on the 4th console regarding
> 	"BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ce8ec00c"
> 	and
> 	"Oops: 0002 [#1]
> 	and
> 	"Call Trace:"
> 	" ? ipw2100_down+0x9e/ox10 [ipw2100]
> 	and the like.
>
> I have attached a syslog of this installation try.
>
> But I am able to proceed with the installation steps, d-i requests firmware
> file, so I plug in my usbstick, the relevant firmware package is installed
> (the firmware files end up in /lib/firmware), but the device is not able
> to operate. It is not shown in the list of available network devices in the
> d-i UI.
>

> To investigate this, I started the installation again, but before the step
> "Detect network hardware" is started, I mount my usbstick, copy the needed
> firmware file into /lib/firmware by hand and then start the step
> "Detect network hardware". And now the device is working, it is shown as
> available nework device, it scans and shows available WLANs, so the hardware
> seems to work.
> So it calms down to the firmware not being available, when the module is loaded.

I no longer have access to this notebook, so I am unable to test if
installation still fails on this device.
So closing this (jessie) bug.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Finterprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076