Re: Installer - add BIOS boot partition?

On 11/01/19 6:52 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 11:04:16PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just done most of an installation on a BIOS machine, with a pair of
>> new 4TB disks, which require GPT.
>>
>> Grub fails to install, which I possibly should have predicted - though I
>> thought di might have either coped or warned me.
>>
>> It seems I need a BIOS boot partition, and that it should fit in the
>> space before my first existing partition, is that right? Any tips on
>> creating such a thing, preferably from within the di environment?
>>
>> Or do I need to do some partitioning before starting the installer?
>> Links to relevant references or howtos welcome.
>
> If you use guided partitioning the installer creates a 1MB partition
> with 'use as' set to 'Reserved BIOS boot area' which then shows as type
> 'biosgrub'.
>
> So that would be the type to create yourself.

That worked great, thanks. Though it seems the '1.0MB' free before my
first partition wasn't big enough (or not aligned right?) so I had to
start from scratch.

Incidentally, could/should I have made that RAID1? I created bios
partitions on both my disks, and have grub-install-ed to both. The
partitions do seem to be identical.

Thanks,
Richard