Re: Encrypted /boot

Hello,

autosend@riseup.net <autosend@riseup.net> (2018-12-17):
> I have managed to find a way to trick the Debian installer into
> encrypting the /boot partition, so that only the MBR GRUB portion of
> the hard drive is unencrypted.
>
> This means the password must be input twice at boot, but on the plus
> side, the Linux kernel lives in /boot, so the system is better
> protected.
>
> Are you interested in how I did this? I have a full step-by-step guide
> which I have tried to minimize as much as possible.  I was hoping it
> could be engineered into a guided installation option.
>
> Note: it only involved one reboot back into the installer environment.
>
> Also, I did it with GPT, which is also something that D-I should
> support, especially when it comes to encrypted disks (GPT stores a
> couple backups of the partition table).

This seems like something that we should support at some point, AFAICT
grub's cryptodisk support has been around for quite a while, but I've
never managed to dive into it.

A step by step guide would certainly be helpful to others, and might be
a basis for d-i contributors to get involved in implementing this.

Thanks for your proposal.

Cheers,