Re: Status and open questions for debian-installer with backports support

On 8/13/2018 1:57 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
Apologies for taking a while to get back to you here... :-/

Also adding a CC to the -kernel list.

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 10:56:59AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

It's probably a good idea to consider building matching unofficial
image(s) with firmwares embedded. I'm not an expert regarding debian-cd
so help is much welcome. Tweaks might be needed to get firmwares
installed and/or upgraded from the backports repository, be it to embed
them on the image, or to make them available to the installed system.

Ah, good catch. The code to force firmware inclusion will also need an
update to also use backports firmware when a backports kernel is
included. That should be really easy. In terms of config, we're
already building netinst and DVD#1 versions with firmware. We'll keep
that same config.

=> Choice: support unofficial firmware-enabled image(s)?

Yes, people will need them.

I'm one of those people which needs from time to time "unofficial firmware-enabled image", so thanks for keeping that available.

--
John Doe