Re: Install on remote KVM?

On 11/08/18 22:43, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-08-11 at 20:14 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
>> Hi - I hope I'm in the right place; feel free to redirect me.
>>
>> I want to install on a KVM-based VPS, using an ordinary installer (ie
>> not using the image provided).
>>
>> I used the provider's method to provide an ISO, and supplied the
>> standard amd64 netinst image - it boots fine, but can't find the 'cdrom'
>> afterwards. They suggest the netinst image doesn't have the drivers for
>> the KVM virtual cdrom - does that sound right? Are there alternative
>> images that would?
> [...]
>
> I think you are confusing netinst with netboot.
>
> A netboot installer image is an initramfs with input, graphics and
> network drivers included, but not storage drivers.  It downloads
> additional installer components from the network, not from local
> storage.
>
> A netinst installer image is a disk image.  It includes one or more
> boot loaders, kernels, and initramfses; and additional installer
> components.  The initramfs additionally includes storage drivers.
>
> If the netboot method doesn't work for you (maybe network auto-
> configuration doesn't work properly in this VPS?) you could try
> extracting the kernel (vmlinuz) and initramfs (initrd.img) from the
> netinst installer image and providing those instead of the netboot
> images.

Thanks Ben.

I'm mostly familiar with the netinst image, and it's what I generally
use to install on real hardware.

I'm less familiar with netboot, but have used it for PXE installs (right?)

What I'm missing is how I can use either of them on a remote KVM VPS,
where I get to see the boot process on some kind of remote console, and
I have the opportunity to provide a bootable ISO, but not much else.

I've tried providing the netinst ISO, and it boots but can't find itself
for installing packages. Is that a matter of the appropriate storage
drivers not being included, or is it the way the VPS provider set up the
virtual CD?

I've used virt-install on my own KVM machines, which I think does
something similar to a netboot, but I'm not sure what exactly (didn't
make much progress reading the source, unfortunately). I can't use that
method exactly, because I don't have raw access to the host machine.

I don't know how I could use netboot in this case, but any suggestions
are welcome.

I think they're using OnApp for managing this, if that helps - at least
that's the name that shows up with the prebuilt templates. I could of
course use their Stretch template, but I'd rather start clean if I can -
and possibly make some custom partitioning and filesystem choices.

Thanks,
Richard