Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

Wifi doesn't come up after a console login once a normal install happens until after the network is configured on the post-install system unless the /etc/networks/interfaces file created as a result of the install process originally gets copied to the hard drive in the correct directory with the proper name and contents. Many ways exist to solve this problem and it took a while to find out what to do and how because there's more and better support from debian-users than is in debian wiki or debian documentation. I had learned how to do this earlier but apparently an individual known as longwind from China ran into this problem after I had learned to solve it on this end and the original message I read from Brian had a solution I hadn't read earlier and hadn't tried yet which involved far fewer steps. Fortunately I have a hard drive available so I will try Brian's solution out on this end and see how it works. Thanks for your assistance and interest.

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018, Philip Hands wrote:

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 13:10:02
From: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>,
    debian-user@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

The least debian-boot membership could do would be to have a note come
up for installers to execute a shell and do the file copy before
rebooting once hard drive got mounted.  This is a problem for wifi users
with no impact for ethernet users.

Your tone does not encourage a civil response, but you're going to get
one anyway I'm afraid.

Since you didn't bother to say what you are complaining about in any
useful way, I thought I'd look at the first post in the first thread
referred to in the mail from Brian, which is about the fact that
desktop-configured wifi connections don't come up until someone logs in.

Given that one has generally specified the wifi password as the user in
the desktop environment, or at least indicated the fact that you want to
connect to that network, it would be inappropriate for the wifi to come
up earlier, because that might allow other users on the machine to
access a network that was intended to be private.

There is generally an option available in network manager that allows
one to indicate that the connection should be made available to others.
Ticking that box should make it come up at boot time AFAIK.

This seems to have very little to do with the installer.

Cheers, Phil.