Re: Armel: Debian installer freeezes (GuruPlug Server plus)

On Fri, 2018-03-02 at 14:48 +0200, Kari Tanninen wrote:
> "In Debian installer, for the various plug devices, we append to
> the DTB at the end of the kernel rather than loading it separately."
>

> Is that possible/reasonable?
>
> U-boot have to link all files on boot and it is impossibe to append
> command line parametres to fdt-blob
> without resize fdt-blob at U-boot. U-boot is using physical addressing
> only(?) and I think kernel cannot
> resize itself before boot without relocation problems -> bootm_size
> variable issue.
>
> If fdt is used, kernel should discard ATAG-variables by default, I
> think.
[...]

This behaviour is configurable.  For armel and armhf we enable
CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT and
CONFIG_ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT_CMDLINE_FROM_BOOTLOADER so that ATAG
variables override the DTB.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
[W]e found...that it wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had