Re: Installer: 32 vs. 64 bit

On Fri, 2018-10-26 at 14:41 +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been encouraging my students to install Debian on their personal
> machines, and we've found out that a lot of them get the wrong Debian
> installer:
>
>   - some of them attempt to install an AMD64 version of Debian in
>     a 32-bit-only virtual machine;

Why are they creating 32-bit virtual machines?  Perhaps this is a bad
default in the VM manaager?

>   - others attempt to install an i386 version on 64-bit hardware.

This should work, in general.  It won't work on a 64-bit system that
only supports EFI boot - and the installer won't be able to report
that, unless it includes a dummy 64-bit EFI program just to do that.

[...]
> Could somebody please speak with the installer people so they make sure
> that the installation fails with a friendly user message in both of the
> cases outlined above?

We should not do in this in the second case, since it is supposed to
work.  (But a warning might be reasonable.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption]