g++-8 and g++-7 installed, reproducing a FTBFS

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 02:09:45AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> (2018-05-04):
> > Package: src:cdebconf
> > Tags: sid buster
> > User: debian-gcc@lists.debian.org
> > Usertags: ftbfs-gcc-8
> >
> > Please keep this issue open in the bug tracker for the package it
> > was filed for.  If a fix in another package is required, please
> > file a bug for the other package (or clone), and add a block in this
> > package. Please keep the issue open until the package can be built in
> > a follow-up test rebuild.
> >
> > The package fails to build in a test rebuild on at least amd64 with
> > gcc-8/g++-8, but succeeds to build with gcc-7/g++-7. The
> > severity of this report will be raised before the buster release.
> >
> > The full build log can be found at:
> > http://aws-logs.debian.net/2018/05/01/gcc8/cdebconf_0.243_unstable_gcc8.log.gz
> > The last lines of the build log are at the end of this report.
> >
> > To build with GCC 8, either set CC=gcc-8 CXX=g++-8 explicitly,
> > or install the gcc, g++, gfortran, ... packages from experimental.
> >
> >   apt-get -t=experimental install g++
> >
> > Common build failures are new warnings resulting in build failures with
> > -Werror turned on, or new/dropped symbols in Debian symbols files.
> > For other C/C++ related build failures see the porting guide at
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/porting_to.html
>
> FWIW the severity of this bug report just got upgraded to serious but it
> can be directly reproduced in an up-to-date sid system, as gcc-defaults
> doesn't seem to have been switched to gcc-8 yet.

In an up-to-date buster system   `dpkg -l g++-\*`

||/ Name             Version       Architecture  Description
+++-================-=============-=============-======================================
ii  g++-7            7.3.0-25      amd64         GNU C++ compiler
un  g++-7-multilib   <none>        <none>        (no description available)
ii  g++-8            8.1.0-10      amd64         GNU C++ compiler
un  g++-8-multilib   <none>        <none>        (no description available)
un  g++-multilib     <none>        <none>        (no description available)

Upon `g++  --version` is 'g++ (Debian 7.3.0-25) 7.3.0' reported.

With `CC=gcc-8 CXX=g++-8 debuild -uc -us` I do get a succesfull build,
but I'm aiming to reproduce a FTBFS.

How to enforce that  g++  is g++-8 ?

Groeten
Geert Stappers