Re: install logging

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:03:39PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>If in the course of a debian install I need to execute a shell and logs are
>being preserved, will what I type in the shell also be saved to one of the
>log files?

Not by default, no.

>I have a procedure to get a secure wifi login done after reboot and
>post-install and this way I could send logs and it would be available
>for others.  The secure wifi connection happens with ifup with a
>little help from wpa_passphrase and grep and ex.

You could save the information in a clunky way by using "logger" on
the command line, something like (untested!):

  # logger -t my-script "<commands>"
  # <commands> | logger -t my-script 2>&1

That way you'll have to issue each of your commands twice, first to
log what you're sending and secondly to run it, with output redirected
to logger. "logger" is a tool to put things in syslog.

Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.