Re: Beginner question - stable installer build fails - why?

Alex King <alex@king.net.nz> (2018-01-28):
> Indeed that worked very well and resulted in a successful build, thank you.
>
> My next steps:
>
> * Follow https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2017/12/msg00375.html to build
> with a backports kernel.

The net-retriever patch is… wow.

Preliminary patches were posted quite a while ago:
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/01/msg00407.html

> * Try to do the same with Jessie, which is what my customer actually wants.
> * Make whatever changes necessary so the backport kernel is installed in the
> installed system as well as the installer.
>
> If that works maybe set up a regular build and put that up on http for
> people to use.  I.e. stable/oldstable netboot with backport kernels.

Please don't do that. We're trying to get fewer unofficial builds, not more.

> I think there would be interest in that for people trying to get older
> versions on latest hardware, which is my use case.

We're aware of that. That's why these patches were crafted in the first
place. We need to get around merging what's been proposed a while ago,
and see what's needed on the infra side to get all the pieces together.

But I've already said that last month, so I'll stop repeating myself.

Cheers,