Re: How to install a stable system with a backport kernel

On 25/01/18 18:50, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

Hi Alex,

Alex King <alex@king.net.nz> (2018-01-25):
I need to install a stable system, but with a kernel from backports (or
testing).  I am using netboot.

The system needs drivers from a more modern kernel than what's in stable to
access its disks.

Currently the only way I can see to install this system is to use another
(non debian installer) method, such as fai or installing a testing system on
a small partition and using that to debootstrap the system I want.  For
various reasons both are not ideal.

Here are some ways I can think of to solve this problem:

1. Use an installer compiled with a backport kernel.  This does not exist to
my knowledge, but if anyone can point me to a netboot.tar.gz that does this
I would be happy.
On this list, a few weeks ago:
   https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2017/12/msg00365.html

Cheers,
Apologies i had not seen that despite google and some browsing in the archives. That would be ideal.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the effort there.  This is a problem I've come across before and likely will again.  I'd prefer to contribute to a more durable and public solution rather than just finding a quick workaround.

I will likely follow up on jhcha54008's work at https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2017/12/msg00375.html and I'll post back here if I come up with anything useful.

Thanks,
Alex