Re: Help building debian-installer for arm64

On 12/01/2018 18:48, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 01:52:39PM +0100, Loys Ollivier wrote:
>> On 26/12/2017 22:05, Karsten Merker wrote:
>>> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 05:13:26PM +0100, Loys Ollivier wrote:
>
>> I have been able to build the d-i natively and boot from it. Thanks for
>> the help with that. The problem is, my kernel is still missing some
>> modules.
>>
>>> Regarding the kernel udebs: those are created by the Debian
>>> kernel package. A package built with "make deb-pkg" from within
>>> an upstream kernel tree only builds regular debs, but no udebs.
>>> To have udebs for a custom kernel, you should start from the
>>> Debian kernel package sources and modify them as needed for
>>> your custom kernel.
>>>
>>> The Debian kernel package repository is available at
>>> https://anonscm.debian.org/git/kernel/linux.git.
>>> Please note that this repository only contains the packaging
>>> part, not the upstream kernel sources.
>>>
>>> For how to use that with an upstream kernel source, please
>>> read
>>>
>>>   https://anonscm.debian.org/git/kernel/linux.git/tree/debian/README.source?h=sid
>>>

>> I have been able to build a Debian kernel using your tools. But I think
>> I am missing something... I followed
>> https://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official
>> section 4.3.
>> I did "make deb-pkg" and got linux kernel deb packages but still no
>> udebs. I did not find in the documentation how to create those udebs.
>>
>> I guess once I have them I will be able to rebuild the d-i with my
>> custom kernel.
>
> Hello,
>
> "make deb-pkg" uses a function of the upstream kernel Makefile to
> build .deb packages. This function doesn't support building udebs;
> udebs are only built by the Debian kernel package build infrastructure,
> which is in debian/rules (and is called by dpkg-buildpackage).
>
> To build a Debian kernel package including udebs from git, run
> the following steps:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot rsync git
> $ sudo apt-get build-dep linux
> $ git clone -b sid --single-branch https://anonscm.debian.org/git/kernel/linux.git
>   (this gets you the Debian packaging files for a kernel package)
> $ cd linux
> $ ./debian/bin/genorig.py /path/to/local/linux-kernel-git-repository
>   (this creates a DFSG-free upstream kernel tarball for the kernel version
>    defined by the newest entry in debian/changelog from an upstream
>    kernel git repository)
> $ debian/rules orig
>   (this unpacks the upstream kernel tarball in the right place for
>    the package build process)
> $ debian/rules debian/control
>   (this creates the final control file for building the
>    package from a template)
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot -B
>   (this runs the actual binary package build, using the control
>    file generated in the previous step)

> [...]

Hello,

Thanks for the continuous help Karsten. I have followed your steps.
Using the sid branch and the orig file (4.14.13-1) from the debian linux
repo.

Unfortunately when I run the last command to build the package. It fails
after building the kernel + modules with the error message: "Can't read
ABI reference.  ABI not checked!"

I guessed I might still miss one step :(

Thanks,

Loys