Custom kernel and additional packages in Debian CD ISO

Dear Debian Boot,

I am trying to create a custom installer for the RDP Thinbook (see
http://rdp.in/ ), a low-cost Intel Atom based laptop. Much work has
gone into figuring out how to get GNU/Linux working effectively (see
https://github.com/sundarnagarajan/rdp-thinbook-linux/ for details). I
am trying to create a custom Debian installer to install Debian and
and make the laptop features work effectively.

If this is not the right list, please point me to the list appropriately.

1. I need to add a custom kernel: for Bluetooth, sound etc., some
minimal kernel changes are required. I'd like to use a custom kernel
for this purpose with minor patches over the Debian kernel. Please
note that I do not need the Debian installer kernel to change; I just
need the custom kernel installed on the target during the
installation.

>From the ISO remastering instructions here:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CD

I find that I am able to create custom kernels with additional
packages. But how do I replace the linux-image-* and linux-headers-*?
One approach is to get the source of the precise kernel used in that
CD image, and rebuild it with my patches. But can I swap it with a
different kernel version (potentially more recent or one having a
custom version string)? The
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CustomKernel doesn't
make it clear to me.

2. Another thing that isn't clear is that one approach to add custom
packages is to put them in the pool directory and add it to
.disk/base_installable. For packages already in the archive, the
override file has an entry corresponding to it. Suppose that I wish to
add a custom deb file that I have made and dumped in the pool
directory. Do I have to add an entry for that file in the override
file or is it not needed?

Thanks.

Kumar
--
How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi $i done" in a GUI?
		-- Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces