Re: Re: Help building debian-installer for arm64

Hello Richard,

On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 06:52:20AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I've been following this thread because I'm considering creating a custom
> installer, focusing more on builtin option choices rather on a custom
> kernel.

The "PHY" I interpreted like a new kernel (module) is needed for your arm64 device
to get the network up and running. So a new kernel package is needed, unless
you want to run the final system with a module outside of dpkg.

> I don't understand the mechanics of Hermann's answer. I suspect there is a
> critical gap in my reading.

Trying to clarify:

If you only want debian on one (or a few) special system (My case: Trying to get a
Banana M2 Ultra running with an Allwinner R40 ARM SoC) there are other ways to get debian
on such a system up. The way I used sometimes as describe above is to build the normal
kernel package (needed anyways for operating the debian system later on) and
use it for the installation (with some modules compiled in to avoid ramdisk module issues).

If you need something different, sorry if I caused trouble to you.
Greetings
  Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg