Re: testing fonts for gtk UI

Quoting Cyril Brulebois (2017-10-30 17:07:17)
> Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> (2017-10-29):
>> The Noto font might be interesting to use in the graphical
>> debian-installer to have a uniform visual presentation across
>> locales. Since bug#837926 Noto is used for Sinhala and I curious to
>> explore how useful same font might be for other locales.
>>
>> I tried follow https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/GUIFonts - the
>> scripts at the bottom - but they seem outdated or insufficient:
>> Current g-i ISO do not not contain the program gtk_font_tester.
>>
>> Can someone help me how to create font samples nowadays?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question exactly, but if you want to
> toy with other fonts than what's currently used depending on the
> language, have a look at the rootskel-gtk package.
>
> It provides gtk-set-font, which you can tweak, either at runtime (easy
> but not persistent), or in the rootskel-gtk source package (but then
> you'll need to rebuild d-i to include it, using build/localudebs).

Thanks.

Is it documented somewhere how to use rootskel-gtk to loop through
multiple locales making screendumps for each locale?  Or anything
similar, automated, which I might use as starting point?

I am not familiar with working interactively with debian-installer.
which seems a requirement (apparently rootskel exist as udeb only).
That's why I prefer something scripted as starting point that I can
adapt for my experiments of replacing fonts.

What would be ideal for me as starting point is something like this:
<https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/GUIFonts#Creating_screenshots>

(as mentioned previously, above specificall seems to be obsolete.)

 - Jonas