Re: Clarification of Appendix B of Installation Guide

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 08:18:29AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> My long term goal is a "minimal" install -- my precise definition of
> "minimal" to be specified.
>
> Constraints when accomplishing this goal:
>   1. the installer will be on a USB flash drive.
>   2. the installation target will also be a USB flash drive.
>      The underlying purpose is having a Debian system available
>      to any machine capable of booting from a USB flash drive.
>      This implies installing Grub to MBR of the flash drive.

This is slightly tricky - not completely impossible but you need to be
very clear which USB stick is which at all times :)

DD a netinst to one USB stick.

Plug in the other USB - make it a large one - greater than 16GB would be
my prreference.

Do an expert install which will ask questions at low priority.

Standard installation includes enough to bring up a command line
environment well.

No tasks installed at all will result in only installing about 300
packages altogether.

Installing GRUB ought to be asked as a question.

[And no, I haven't get two USB sticks to try it now to see how well it
works for you.]

All the best,

Andy