Sound Parameters on Net Installer? Need speech for accessibility

I am trying to get software speech to work on the Stretch net installer, on a machine having multiple sound output possibilities. When typing 's', and pressing enter, at the boot prompt/beep, I am expecting spoken prompts for the installer, but get silence, except for the beeping boot prompt. Can I pass boot parameter(s) to force the installer to use my alsa sound device for this output?

I am blind, and need the speech to make the installer accessible; I've no access to a braille display.

Thanks,

Daid