Re: Replace discover by isenkram in d-i, better integration with virtualizations/clouds

Hi,

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> (2017-12-03):
> debian-installer is using discover[1] to install some packages based
> on the hardware it discovers. Unfortunately, discover is dead upstream
> (Debian is the upstream really) and the hardware->package database is
> not maintained at all.

The fact it's been maintained “officially” by the D-I team (see its
Maintainer field) but in separate repositories didn't quite help.

> In the last years, Petter Rheinholdtsen worked on isenkram[2] with a
> similar but a bit broader goal. I noticed it has better support
> of clouds and that it will install some virtualization/cloud-related
> packages automatically whereas discover does not. It also makes it easier
> to install the appropriate firmware packages.
>
> I would thus suggest that we consider replacing discover by isenkram-cli.
>
> Last time I discussed this with Petter, he was willing to do the ground
> work on the debian-installer side but he did not want to lead this
> discussion. I'm thus starting the discussion myself.
>
> I see mainly benefits to such a move. The only downside is that it
> would pull python by default. This entirely depends on whether we want
> to keep it installed or not. We could install it just to do a single
> scan and install pass during installation and then get rid of it (this
> would then likely be made configurable with a debconf preseed).

Well, I'm not sure it's really a good idea to put more packages in the
default installation loop; we've been going the opposite direction for
quite a while, and that seems like the right thing to do.

Quick digression: As for virtualization and cloud support, it seems the
cloud team has been working on standardizing a tool that fits most virt-
& cloud- related needs (at least that's what I gathered from Steve's
presentation during mini-DebConf in Cambridge), so I'm not entirely
convinced by the net gain on the d-i side for this specific use case (if
users are using something else entirely anyway…).

Anyway, back to the isenkram suggestion: of course, using maintained
stuff is better anyway. But that's a little more than just python:
| Depends: debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, python (<< 2.8), python (>= 2.7), python:any (>= 2.6.6-7~), appstream, python-gi, python-apt, gir1.2-appstream-1.0, lsb-release, curl, usbutils

(The recursive dependency graph is a bit wider still.)

I have no idea about the isenkram architecture, but reusing the “data
files mapping hardware to packages” part is probaby a good idea. ISTR
Petter mentioned we could strip bits and pieces and only use something
that wouldn't depend on the whole lot, but I lost count. (That was
likely back when we had to deal with hw-detect and firmware support.)

Cheers,