Re: Busybox 1.27 breaks kernel cmdline preseeding

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.trudel-lapierre@canonical.com> (2017-11-22):
> In Ubuntu we recently noticed the following: with busybox 1.27.0; d-i now
> does not take into account some preseeding that happens at the kernel
> cmdline.
>
> For instance:
> linux /vmlinux etc. etc. etc. debconf/priority=critical
> netcfg/get_hostname=blah
>
> Here, debconf/priority and netcfg/get_hostname would not be preseeded
> correctly. On the other hand, using their aliases 'priority' and 'hostname'
> would work correctly.
>
> I investigated this with Adam Conrad and we tracked it down to changes in
> busybox's handling of /. It was previously permitted in variable names in
> the environment (cmdline preseeding eventually makes it there, where it
> gets read by env2debconf), and is no longer acceptable. This is why
> 'priority' works and 'debconf/priority' does not. It is technically correct
> to not allow slashes in variable names in the environment.
>
> Now, how should we go about fixing this? Adam pointed out we could always
> just parse /proc/cmdline, but this does not just work on kfreebsd. It's
> also possible to consider both /proc/cmdline and the environment; or just
> revert the particular change in busybox.
>
> I don't feel strongly either way, but I want to make the solution available
> in Debian as well... Anybody have a preference?

Right now (thinking of a release soon-ish), I think I'd be happy with a
specific revert for the time being; then get people to figure out what to
do next (I have no clue about such things at the moment).

KiBi.