Fw: Re: Fw: Re: debian-installer: call to update translations - Greek

I'm forwarding this info to Sotirios, so that he can ask Kostas.

Holger

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 06:36:15 +0100
From: Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org>
To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: debian-installer: call to update translations - Greek

Quoting Holger Levsen (holger@layer-acht.org):
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 08:50:00PM +0000, Sotirios Vrachas wrote:
> > More of standardization issue, if it can be considered an issue at all.
> > For example, do we translate "Bootloader"?
>
> if "bootloader" were translated to German I would not understand the
> translation. Same for internet, proxy, email, and many many other things.
>
> So this is not a Greek problem. (Just that some languages are more
> affected by this than others.)
>
> In the end this is up to the translation team though.

Definitely.

The key here is being consistent with what is done elsewhere in the
free software l10n world.

You know about the reputation of the French l10n teams to translate
everything. It is indeed because this practice is now established all
over the free software ecosystem.

For other languages, the established practice is to keep English words
for technical terms. Even though I do not agree with that (it
enforces the idea that technical terms are to be used by technical
people only while my localization work is made for the average random
person in the street), I think it's a matter of local culture.

But, please always always always remember what I used to put in all my
l10n talks : "not every sysadmin in the world speaks and understands
English......this is a very biased view to think that". And if not
every sysadmin is more comfortable in her own lmanguage, think about
the average user.

For Greek translaiton, I'd recommend talking to Kostas Margaritis. He
did the initial work and know what he's talking about.

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.1 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   9   " S T R E T C H " .