Re: rescue reiserfs on raid

On 07/20/2017 05:51 PM, Ben Hildred wrote:
I need to copy some files off of an old system that users reiserfs 3.6 on an old hardware raid that most rescue cds wont work with. Fortunately when I pulled out my favorite tool Debian's installer recognized the raid and correctly identified all the partitions, but the reiserfs would not mount and I did not see the udebs (https://packages.debian.org/jessie/reiserfsprogs) listed as available. Does anyone have any guidance on how to proceed.

I believe there are udebs for both ssh client and server, so you could use one or the other to just copy the raw block device off, then work on the image from whatever system you want. Working with copies only is generally a good idea for data recovery anyway.

Something like:

    ssh otherhost 'cat > reiserfs.img' < /dev/sda1

ought to work. You can confirm the copy succeeded by comparing SHA256 (etc.) checksums; I think there is a checksum utility available.

PS: Debian-boot is a development list, you probably want debian-user.