Re: Preseed, policy-rc.d returns 101

Hi Anton,

First off: please avoid sending html-only mails, this makes people want
to kill them with fire instead of replying.

Rak, Anton <anton.rak@eks-intec.de> (2017-07-18):
> I'm not sure whether I should ask that question here or not, that is why
> correct me if not.

That's fine, even if debian-user or so would get your a wider audience.

> Main problem: We(i and collegues) created custom debian repo and
> uploaded a number of packages(control stuff like postinstall was written
> by me). The idea is to load and install that packages during the
> installation of OS(Debian 9) via preseed.cfg. If i install that packages
> on already installed OS - everything is ok, however when they installed
> with the help of preseed file - services of these programs are not
> running(not enabled and not active) after reboot into newly instaled OS.
> I've tried both notation of preseed to install the packages:
>
> 1) d-i preseed/late_command string apt-install profinet-ui
> 2) d-i pkgsel/include string profinet-ui

There are a number of components in d-i which can touch policy-rc.d, but
notably running in-target will get you chroot_setup and chroot_cleanup
called, which are exposed through chroot-setup.sh. The former function
is responsible for making sure there's a policy-rc.d script in place,
the latter for cleaning it up.

Then, apt-install leverages in-target, so that's quite normal to have
the behaviour you're describing. I'd probably go for running a compound
command starting by removing the policy-rc.d file, then only installing
your packages; all of this wrapped by in-target.

> I also tried to substitute deb-systemd-invoke with deb-systemd-helper,
> but that didn't work for me too. Finally the problem was solwed by using
> systemctl instead of deb-systemd-*. But i'm still interested why
> it didn't work?

Please contact the relevant maintainers, maybe through a bug report.
That's not for debian-boot@.

> Second question: why could I prefere to use deb-systemd-invoke instead
> of deb-systemd-helper? Both of them are using systemctl. As I got, the
> main difference is that deb-systemd-invoke starts servecies respecting
> policy-rc.d. On the other side deb-systemd-helper has a bit more
> functionality but without respect to policy-rc.d.

Same as above.

KiBi.