Re: WiFi install (Intel 8265) (Dell Precision 5520)

On 2017-06-19 03:48, Charles Chambers wrote:
> Has anyone else tried to install 9.0 over WiFi yet?

I have tried to install 9.0 on a new Dell Precision 5520, with an Intel
WiFi Link 8265 card, and failed.

The missing firmware files (as reported by the installer) seem to be:

iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-21.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-20.ucode

Where does this list come from?!

I was able to find the 21, 22 and 27 here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/
, but providing them to the installer on a secondary USB stick doesn't
help. The missing files list just shrinks to:

iwlwifi-8265-26.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode
iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode

After several minutes and repeating this step several times I sometimes
manage to get through to the next step (I can see a list of WiFi
networks, for example) but then the actual mirrors do not work ("mirror
does not support the specified release" error, which is a network error
as the URLs work on a different machine).

I am confused with this, my understanding is that every single
iwlwifi-8265-*.ucode file in itself is a full Intel 8265 firmware (with
the number denoting the version number).
If this is not the case, then why is iwlwifi-8265-20.ucode no longer
required after providing 21, 22 and 27?

SF