root (/) partion too small by automatic partition during boot? (Re: root-fs too small [was: Re: Debian Installer Jessie Beta 2 release]

Hi,

Recently I have hit into the issue of automatic partition done during the
installation of Debian jessie
creating too small root (/) partition, and tried to find out where to report
this and found the following post which is quoted below.

Sorry I am not sure how to quote a post to debian-boot mail archive, which I
found at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/10/msg00115.html.
The subject was "root-fs too small [was: Re: Debian Installer Jessie Beta 2
release]".
So I simply copy and paste the web page below.

>   * /To/: debian-boot@lists.debian.org <mailto:debian-boot%40lists.debian.org>
>   * /Subject/: root-fs too small [was: Re: Debian Installer Jessie Beta 2
>     release]
>   * /From/: Noël Köthe <noel@debian.org <mailto:noel%40debian.org>>
>   * /Date/: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 10:53:30 +0200
>   * /Message-id/: <1412585610.2093.4.camel@debian.org
>     <https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/10/msg00115.html>>
>   * /In-reply-to/: <20141005191124.GB8555@mraw.org
>     <https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/10/msg00095.html>>
>   * /References/: <20141005191124.GB8555@mraw.org
>     <https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/10/msg00095.html>>

> Hello,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 05.10.2014, 21:11 +0200 schrieb Cyril Brulebois:
>
> > Feedback for this release
> > =========================
> >
> > We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer, so
> > please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you will
> > need are available at our web site[3].
>
> I still can confirm #740330 "root-fs should be larger". You will only
> run into this problem when you autopartition and later you get a kernel
> update (e.g. 3.16-1 > 3.16-2 or coming kernel security updates).
> If / is too small a jessie+1 will run into this problem, too.
>
> Please raise the size. Thank you.:)
>
> --
> Noël Köthe <noel debian.org>
> Debian GNU/Linux, www.debian.org

> <https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/10/pgpLDkSppej9z.pgp>*

Does the recent netinstaller for jessie I downloaded last weekend contain
the fix for above?
I doubt it because I just hit the too small root partition issue
after I was upgrading and doing some installation stuff on a new installation.

I think in today's bloated kernel (and other related stuff) world, we should
set aside 20G for root (/)
[maybe much more. I found the suggestion for 32GB which may be a tad too
large, but...] at the minimum during automatic partition.
We probably should warn the user if the installer finds the root partition
too small.

I would rather live with smaller /home partition and larger /root partition.
There was enough space in /home to make /root bigger in my case.

I got bitten with this issue three times on different machines in the past
three years and so decided to the manual partition for a fresh install based
on my experience, but I was in a hurry this time
and tried netinstall with automatic partition and hit into this problem again.
The machine is in limbo because I cannot even remove packages. (I tried
setting TMP, TMPDIR, etc. to point to a non-root partition, but to no avail.)
I will try re-installing this weekend, but I wanted to report the issue to
debian bug system.

Where should I report this?  Since the installation of Debian GNU/Linux
system is NOT in usable state [the partition filled up and many commands
refused to run.],
I cannot send the bug report from THAT machine.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Chiaki Ishikawa