Bug#853921: fonts-android-udeb: broken rendering for Korean glyphs in debian-installer
Justification: breaks d-i for Korean
(Please keep both email@example.com and myself in copy when
I've reported this regression for Korean support against debian-installer
a few minutes ago: “debian-installer: missing glyphs for Korean / broken
rendering” → https://bugs.debian.org/853917
As documented there, checking Alpha releases led me to a regression
between Alpha 5 and Alpha 6. Since pkg-lists had no changes related to
fonts-* packages in between, I looked at fonts-android as a prime suspect,
and that wasn't too bad a try. :)
I've built d-i images systematically for all versions between the one in
Alpha 5 and the one in stretch right now, and all versions including and
after 1:6.0.0r26-1 have the same issue, while 1:4.4.4r2-7 does the job
| ./mini+1:4.4.4r2-7.iso : OK
| ./mini+1:6.0.0r26-1.iso: KO
| ./mini+1:6.0.1r3-1.iso: KO
| ./mini+1:6.0.1r3-2.iso: KO
| ./mini+1:6.0.1r16-1.iso: KO
debdiff on the udeb shows:
| $ debdiff fonts-android-udeb_4.4.4r2-7_all.udeb fonts-android-udeb_6.0.0r26-1_all.udeb
| Files in second .deb but not in first
| -rw-r--r-- root/root /usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSansFallbackFull.ttf
| Files in first .deb but not in second
| -rw-r--r-- root/root /usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/DroidSansFallback.ttf
which matches the packaging changes documented in changelog:
| +fonts-android (1:6.0.0r26-1) unstable; urgency=medium
| + * Imported Upstream version 6.0.0r26
| + + Upstream no longer ships Droid fonts except, DroidSansFallback,
| + DroidSansFallbackFull and DroidSansMono.
| + * Install DroidSansFallbackFull as part of fonts-android-udeb.
I've just checked, for the avoidance of doubt, that adding a symlink from
the old filename to the new filename doesn't change anything.
We'll need to have a fix for stretch, otherwise that means no Korean
support in d-i, which doesn't seem reasonable.
I might try and check whether the needed codepoints are present in the new
version (through fontforge) but I'm no expert at all… Maybe that's just
some fontconfig stuff that needs adjusting.
I can easily test any patches against fonts-android, since building d-i
against local packages only takes a minute here; so feel free to use me as
a puppet to experiment fixes. ;-)
Thanks for your time, and sorry for not detecting this sooner.