Re: Do I have to do anything to make sure ext4lazyinit works as being advertised ?

in-line :-

On 01/02/2017, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 12:46:48AM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:

<snipped>

>> Now I have few queries -
>>
>> a. Are my assumptions wrong ?
>
> About the doing the init on a future boot, yes you are wrong.

Ah...ok.

<snipped>

> 2.6.37 apparently.

My bad ...

<snipped>

> I believe it is on by default.  However, the lazy init takes
> place in the background on first mount (so that means during
> the install), not some later boot.  It apparently will use
> up to 16MB/s for initializing in the background according to
> https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Ext4_Filesystem
>
> I suspect it is already doing the best you are going to get.

hmm.... From what little I understand, it always the slowest interface
that needs to be supported.

And IIUC , in ext4lazyinit's case it is probably some of the MMC cards
due to which the 16 MB/S transmission is kept - although some of them
are at 104 MB/S as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiMediaCard#Table

Whereas USB are at -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.1

USB 2.0 - 35 MB/S

USB 3.0 - 400 MB/S

USB 3.1 - Gen 1 - 400 MB/S

USB 3.2 - Gen 2 - 1280 MB/S

For HDD -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

SATA 1 - starts at 150 MB/S

Another query - if instead ext4lazyinit IF -

mkfs.ext4 -E lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0 /dev/mapper/fc-root

is applied then would it would start formatting and making inodes at a
much faster rate - i.e. slowest between the USB Drive and HDD in a
typical workstation - which probably would be a jump 3-4 times the
speed that ext4lazyinit would employ.

WDYT ?

If yes, how as a user could I apply/use the above command while using
debian-installer ?

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल