Re: stretch hd-media - boot error for USB-FDD on S5000PAL

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 09:39:25 -0500
lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:56:41AM +0300, dbsubscribe@mail.ru wrote:
> > I use the server on S5000PAL. For remote reinstallation of system
> > to me it is necessary to choose in BIOS for USB disks the Force FDD
> > mode. It will allow to consider USB the separate device and allows
> > to choose him at single loadings on this version of BIOS.
> >
> > I use a loading image
> > stretch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz.
> >
> > The image is copied on usb a disk through dd. The section 1Gb turns
> > out.
> >
> > When loading with USB the message of "Boot error" is given at once
> >
> > I have tried to zapusat releases of boot.img.gz for the previous
> > dates and only the release from 20160106 was loaded without
> > problems.
> >
> > The image of hd-media of the jessie distribution kit is loaded
> > without problems.
>
> In floppy mode?
>
> > BIOS servers it is updated to the latest version.
> >
> > Use of USB on this server works in the HDD mode, but demands
> > indications of an order of loading in the list of HDD devices. And
> > to use USB for single loading it is impossible.
>
> The hdmedia has a partition table and expects to be booted as a
> harddisk. Making it a floppy can't possibly be expected to work since
> floppy booting is totally different than hard disk booting.
>
> That is not a way to solve boot problems.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

No. The image boot.img.gz has the table of partitions not as at the hard
drive. Partition mount without number (mount /dev/sdc /mnt/usb-boot)

S5000PAL BIOS, USB Storage Emulation:
[Auto] - USB devices less than 530MB will be emulated as floppy.
[Forced FDD] - HDD formatted drive will be emulated as FDD (e.g.
ZIP drive).

I use "Forced FDD" and USB selected in BIOS Boot Manager

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/apas02.html.en

"Some BIOSes can boot USB storage directly, and some cannot. You may
need to configure your BIOS to boot from a “removable drive” or even a
“USB-ZIP” to get it to boot from the USB device. For helpful hints and
details, see Section 5.1.5, “Booting from USB Memory Stick”. "

zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdc
Jessie boot correctly.

Stretch boot correctly with boot.img.gz version 20160106
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/20160106/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

Version from 20170112 print message "Boot error"
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

Maybe BUG?

--
dbsubscribe@mail.ru <dbsubscribe@mail.ru>