Re: How to preseed.cfg with official installation cdrom

Hi everybody,
thanks for your  valuable feedback.

After studying the issue a while a came to the conclusion that the initrd hacking method is the universal one and the other methods can be left aside therefore; in vast majority of use case I can think of. More over the docs say that these other interfaces (file, networking) do not cover all questions. (I have not tried it out.) Therefore for what need, to change the preseeding method?

The preseed docs should 1. address that clearer and 2. give a clear pointer to the indicated doc, which is: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed/EditIso
Imho. These are my suggestion on updating the preseeding howto for most user good guidance.
Suggestions?

Well, diving it the question of the thread the file interface for official cd:
> Plug a USB stick into a Linux machine.
>   http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/apbs02.html#preseed-loading
>   Boot parameters to specify:
> - if you're booting a _remastered CD_:
>   preseed/file=/cdrom/preseed.cfg
>   preseed/file/checksum=5da499872becccfeda2c4872f9171c3d
>
> - _if you're installing from USB media_ (put the preconfiguration file in the
>   toplevel directory of the USB stick):
>   preseed/file=/hd-media/preseed.cfg
>   preseed/file/checksum=5da499872becccfeda2c4872f9171c3d
There are command lines example given. That is good.

However a) the use case: Booting from CD-ROM, reading from USB is not included in the docs.
One could try letting the bios boot the cdrom, right? Then at the boot prompt one is due to enter that boot prompt manually, hopefully syntactically correct and correctly  divined. And then after some first questions not covered the preseed file is found.

b) Furthermore the docs say to the question of remastering:
>How to get the preconfiguration file included in the initrd is __outside the scope__ of this document; please consult the developers' documentation for debian-installer.
There is a appropriate doc for it: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed/EditIso

In the end a) and b) out of reach the typical user gets lost.

>>  Write about the journey.
questioning the preseeding journey::
https://qemuburopointdpkg.wordpress.com/2016/10/14/the-preseed-solution-then/ is a script and could be found as a tutorial about qemu/initrd/preseeding as well.

Tia