Re: Screen support (was: Next d-i alpha release: late June)

On Mon, 2016-08-15 at 04:37 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> > Roger Shimizu <rogershimizu@gmail.com> (2016-08-08):
> >
> > Dear KiBi,
> >
> > Sorry for not being able to reply earlier.
> > You feedback keeps me thinking a fix.

> > > I still disagree with the UI changes it imposes on everyone, for the
> > > reasons I've already given.
> >
> > During RFC stage of adding screen-udeb, firstly I though it's not
> > necessary for normal PC, which is not exact the same with "everyone"
> > you mentioned but should be close to, however a few feedbacks
> > convinced me that normal PC still need screen-udeb [0][1][2].
> >
> > [0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2016/04/msg00369.html
> > [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2016/04/msg00377.html
> > [2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2016/05/msg00004.html
> >
> > I think the solution below is a middle ground, which I guess it can be
> > accepted by everyone.
> > - Keep screen-udeb in "common" for everyone, but don't start it
> > automatically on i386/amd64.
>
> It'd be nice if Ben, Axel, Philipp (cc'd) could share whether they
> expect screen to start automatically, with text and/or graphical
> installer, or whether they would be OK to opt in for that (and if so,
> how).
[...]

I think that all builds of the installer should provide the same
functionality so far as possible, and that the options to switch to a
shell and to view the log are important functionality.  Therefore,
remote interfaces (serial, SSH) should invoke the installer front-end
in screen, perhaps with an opt-out available through a command line
parameter.

However I don't think that there should be any change to which
interfaces are enabled by default, as that could create a security
issue.  For builds that previously provided only a local interface, any
remote interface should be opt-in.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
This sentence contradicts itself - no actually it doesn't.