Re: accessing efivarfs in debian-installer

Hi,

Francesco De Vita <fradev@inventati.org> (2016-05-24):
> I have an ASUS T100TA [1] and I'm trying to use the wifi device with
> the Debian Installer for Stretch Alpha 5 .

(There's a Strech Alpha 6 now. ;))

> As explained here [2], the wifi device requires a proprietary firmware
> and its nvram-file, a UEFI configuration variable from
> /sys/firmware/efi/efivars. Loading the firmware in the DI is not a
> problem but I'm unable to access the efivarfs interface.
>
> Using a tty console in the DI, I can see that the directory
> /sys/firmware/efi/efivars is there but it is empty. Mounting the
> efivarfs in this path [2] fails with the "no such device" message, and
> lsmod doesn't show the efivars and efivarfs modules, which I suppose
> are required.
>
> So, is it possible to access the efivarfs interface and retrieve the
> required nvram-file inside the DI environment?

I'm pretty sure we can do that from d-i since that's needed to get UEFI
support working AFAICT. Looking at udebs, it seems you want to be
  efi-modules-4.5.0-2-amd64-di_4.5.4-1_amd64.udeb

It contains:
  ./lib/modules/4.5.0-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi/efivars.ko

which is likely to make it possible to access efivars, allowing you to
mount them on the mount point (which you mentioned, exists already).

> If you answer, please add my e-mail address in CC because I'm not
> subscribed to this list. Thank you very much.

Done.

KiBi.