Re: Improving firmware reporting

On Sun, 2016-05-22 at 21:11 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2016-05-22):
> >
> > Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> (2016-05-22):
> > >
> > > That information already exists in DEP-11 metadata that APT will
> > > download for us.
> > Right, forgot about that. But what the mapping is built from doesn't
> > really change the need for embedding it, see below.
> I've modified the script to use dep11 information. Comparing results, it
> seems some packages are missing those “AppStream metadata”, and should
> probably get a bug report accordingly?

All the binary packages built from firmware-nonfree get it
automatically, but I forgot there were so many other firmware packages.
Maybe your way is better for now.

>     amd64-microcode
>     atmel-firmware
>     bluez-firmware
>     dahdi-firmware-nonfree
>     firmware-crystalhd
>     firmware-ipw2x00

firmware-ipw2x00 does have it.

>     firmware-linux-free
>     firmware-zd1211
>     intel-microcode
>     ixp4xx-microcode
>     prism2-usb-firmware-installer
>
> (firmware-linux-free might be special because in main; not sure.)

That means it's built from a separate source package which I haven't
yet added DEP-11 generation to.  But it's also recommended by linux-
image-* so gets installed by default anyway.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
friends: People who know you well, but like you anyway.