proper method for getting the source for the debian-installer for building my own test images

Hi, I did apt-get source debian-installer and was told to download the debian-installer from git so I did this. Then I tried to do a demo build of the GTK target and it failed with unable to create directories in /tmp and things not existing. I then went to the debian-installer wiki pages and was told there to checkout the subversion sources then use mr to murge in the git changes. My question is what is the correct method for checking out and building the debian-installer after installing the build dependencies using apt-get build-dep debian-installer as I think the README file and the wiki pages should all have the the same information and not two different sets of directions on two different pages? Nick Gawronski