Re: [RFC] Call for review of GNU/screen support for D-I (was Re: Merge orion5x/kirkwood to flavour marvell and marvell-qnap)

Dear Ben, Axel, Philipp,

Thanks so much for your comments!

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 3:28 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> For a rack-mounted server, it is usually possible to attach a
> (switched) keyboard and monitor, but there is contention for those
> resources and machine rooms are not comfortable places for humans.
> IP-KVMs are an option but often awkward to use and may rely on plain-
> text authentication, Java applets and other insecure technologies.  So
> an ssh server and screen could be very useful on PCs too.

Glad to know that my software solution can replace some hardware (IP-KVM).

However, there's even no network-console (SSH) target for i386/amd64 yet [6].
So this use case, together with screen support, would be added from stretch.

I'll skip network-console, and only add a "network-screen" target for
i386/amd64.

[6] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/debian-installer.git/tree/build/config/i386

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org> wrote:
> I disagree that screen support for i386 in unnecessary. There are
> rather popular x86 boards which only have a serial console and no VGA,
> e.g.:
>
> http://www.pcengines.ch/alix3d2.htm (actually all but two models on
>                                      http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm)
> http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm
> http://www.pcengines.ch/apu2b2.htm
>
> So I think adding screen support to D-I on at least i386, too, would
> add some value.

Thanks for those links for products!
Easy for me to understand with spec tables and pictures.

So for those boards with serial ports, Debian can be installed by
"netboot" image, which is called "netboot-screen" image after the
screen support.
(Of course network-screen image also can be used by SSH connection)

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 2:22 AM, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> Also servers with IPMI that only have a virtual serial port. (Yes, there
> might be console redirection, but that doesn't always work or might
> require an additional license.) I think screen support is worthwhile
> everywhere. Or at least not at all detrimental. I'd, however, put an
> emphasis on turning it on when the terminal is a serial or remote
> console. Although it might not matter too much to have it always on…

Good to know my solution can be used to save proprietary software license!

I'm not sure about IPMI, but I guess either serial way
(netboot-screen) or SSH way (network-screen) should be suitable for
that use case.

Cheers,
--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo