Re: [Decision] Kernel version for stretch

I read this last week just before slipping into a fever in which I had
recurring dreams about the relations of unnameable abstract entities
that seemed later to correspond to software components.

On recovering from the flu, I was pleased to find that I hadn't
imagined that Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the Release Team's IRC meeting today we concluded the following[1]:
>
>  * We expect to release Stretch with the LTS release based on Linux 4.10
>  * We intend to delay the freeze (all milestone dates) by 2 months to
>    accommodate the above.
>    - Note that the expected release date of Linux 4.10 will then fall
>      between the "new" freeze and the "deep" freeze.

Thank you very much for accommodating this request!

>  * The linux 4.10 release will be entitled to a freeze exception if it
>    misses "deep freeze" by 5th of Feb.
>    - This exception only applies to linux.
>  * We would like to encourage the Linux kernel maintainers to upload
>    release candidates of Linux 4.10 in sid.
>    - The sooner we can spot regressions/problems in reverse
>      dependencies, the better.

Given the recent changes in linux packaging made to support easy
derivation of source packages such as linux-grsec, it should be easy to
upload a temporary linux-4.10 source package in parallel with linux.

This would allow rollback from 4.10 to 4.9 simply by changing which
version the linux-latest package refers to - no fake version or epoch
would be needed to make the 4.9 packages look newer.

> This decision is based on assumptions about the current release schedule
> of the Linux kernel.  Should the expected release date for the LTS
> change considerably, we may have to revise the decision.
[...]

And of course I'll let you know if the kernel release cycle deviates
significantly from expected.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Tomorrow will be cancelled due to lack of interest.