Re: Debian Installer Stretch Alpha 5 release

On Mon, 2016-01-11 at 07:41 +0300, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 23:39:35 +0100
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the fifth alpha
> > release of the installer for Debian 9 "Stretch".
> >

> > Important change in this release of the installer
> >
> >  * The i386 architecture now requires 686-class processors:
> >    https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/09/msg00589.html
>
> Why not just call it i686 then, in the Arch style?

Debian architecture names identify ABIs, not hardware requirements.
We've progressively raised the minimum processor requirement for i386
over the last 10 years or so.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Q.  Which is the greater problem in the world today, ignorance or apathy?