netinst network setup

If a netinst version of the installer connects with the internet would it be possible to have a version as part of the installation process at least give the installer the option to save those network settings in /etc/network/interfaces so if that option were chosen the post-install debian version would connect to the internet? The last time I installed debian, that didn't happen and installing mate/gnome and using the gnome-orca package and bringing up the network connections to get a wifi connection set up didn't work all that easily. I only put a graphical interface on a system for two reasons. It's new and I want to experiment with it, or more browser than lynx is needed to solve a captcha. Other than that, I'm found in the command line for most of what I do and that's by preference.