[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#831693: marked as done (debian-installer: installer tries to connect to the Internet when it shouldn't)

Your message dated Tue, 19 Jul 2016 06:39:39 +0200
with message-id <20160719043938.GA28400@mykerinos.kheops.frmug.org>
and subject line Re: Bug#831693: debian-installer: installer tries to connect to the Internet when it shouldn't
has caused the Debian Bug report #831693,
regarding debian-installer: installer tries to connect to the Internet when it shouldn't
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact owner@bugs.debian.org

831693: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=831693
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact owner@bugs.debian.org with problems
--- Begin Message ---
Package: debian-installer
Version: 20150422+deb8u4
Severity: normal
Tags: d-i

We have a segment of our network that is firewalled off from the Internet
at large. We have a local Debian mirror that we use for these subnets
(as well as the organization at large).

When we run an installation by hand, off the netinstal image, we chooose a
"Manual" mirror configuration and point it to (e.g.) "mirror.hpc.example.com"
because that area of the network can't get online.

The base installation works just fine from the mirror. However, the installer
then tries to contact "security.debian.org" (s.d.org) for some reason--even 
though we told it use our internal mirror. This causes delays while the 
timeout occurs in two parts of the installation process:

* the initial package installation
* towards the end, when an 'apt-get update' is run in a chroot(8)

It really slows things down and is annoying--especially since we have
s.d.org in our "mirror.list" file and we pull from it nightly.

The installer should do one of the following:

* not check s.d.org if a 'manual' mirror has been chosen
* have a check-box (default enabled? disabled?) asking if s.d.org 
  should be looked at
* assume that the manually-configured mirror has "${release}/updates"
  and try pulling files from there
  ** perhaps with toggleable s.d.org check, per above
* have a (radio button?) selection where the manually-configured mirror is
  checked for "${release}/updates", s.d.org is checked, or nothing is checked

The above action would also then affect the final sources.list file of the
installed system.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 8.5
  APT prefers stable
  APT policy: (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

-- no debconf information

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
> From the fine documentation[1]:
>   # Select which update services to use; define the mirrors to be used.
>   # Values shown below are the normal defaults.
>   #d-i apt-setup/services-select multiselect security, updates
>   #d-i apt-setup/security_host string security.debian.org 

And, so, there is no bug as the "get security updates" feature can be
disabled (it can be disabled too, manually, at expert level)

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

--- End Message ---

Reply to: