Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

> Why would you call it "Jessie + 1/2"? Wouldn't it be a better idea
Well IBM set a precedent for that: OS/2.
Accordingly, Jessie BP could be called Jessie/2 ;-)

​Well, that would be a half Jessie, not Jessie and a half, right?​ We could use 3Jessie/2 or Jessie3/2, or maybe not.

Mark Brown
We're getting to the point where there's a fairly pressing need for
arm64 - the more useful hardware is starting to get a wider distribution
and we don't really have anything for people who want to run Debian
that gets them a supported system with an upgrade path.

​We have Debian Stretch, which is what i recommend to anybody who wants do install Debian as a desktop.

I understand the difference of running Debian Testing and Debian Stable with some backported packages, but is it really worth it?
Shouldn't we discuss more the usability of Testing as a solid release, or maybe start doing a stable release and another release kinda like Testing but with more stability guarantees?

I'm not really sure, but i think opensuse has a model like that.

I use debian for a considerable amount of time now, but just started interacting with the community recently, having installed debian to a lot of new users on installfests over the years, one of the most common problems i found out for novice Debian users is that they don't really know how Debian releases works and thinks using stable in their laptop bought last year is a good idea, then i always end up having a conversation where they're needing help with problems related to using stable, i have to explain things like: why their performance is crap, why they can't see youtube html5 videos on iceweasel version lastversion-4, why they can't install softwares like steam (wheezy was a hard one on this)* and how the testing stability is the same, or better, than of the other distros they used to use.
They always end up using Debian Testing, knowing that the main risk comes when the unfreeze happens and that while the freeze is rolling they will have a more stable debian (compared to when unfreezed).

*these are just some of the various conversations i've had.

​Unfortunately i' not attending DebConf, but it is a great opportunity to discuss​ things like this there, maybe even form a team and work on policies changes for this "new testing" release, if i'm not dreaming too big.

Samuel Henrique O. P. [samueloph]