Re: nomodeset problem in Jessie, but fixed in Fedora

Hi Luke,

Luke <luke@keyee.xyz> (2016-07-01):
> Unless I add "nomodeset" to the grub (specifically:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset") my pc does not boot (black
> screen).
> As a consequence, it is not possible to change screen resolution, to use
> an external monitor, or to change the brightness.
>
> I checked however that everything works fine with Fedora 24: I guess
> therefore that the solution must be in the open domain by now. Just, I
> can't find it.
>
> I am running Jessie 8.5 (with kernel 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64)
> on a Thinkpad X1 4th generation. More details can be found here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/X1%20Carbon%204thGen
> %20PCIe_SSD/jessie (I wrote that page).
>
> Any suggestions?
> Many thanks in advance, Luke

The debian-boot@ list deals with the Debian Installer. Your problem is
likely located somewhere between the linux kernel and the X world. I
would advise filing a bug report against the linux kernel package as a
starting point. According to [1], it seems running “reportbug kernel”
should do the job.

 1. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelReportingBugs

KiBi.