Re: accessing efivarfs in debian-installer

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:41:39AM +0200, Francesco De Vita wrote:
>Hi
>
>On 25/5/2016 16:31, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> Francesco De Vita <fradev@inventati.org> (2016-05-24):
>> > So, is it possible to access the efivarfs interface and retrieve
>> > the required nvram-file inside the DI environment?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure we can do that from d-i since that's needed to get
>> UEFI support working AFAICT. Looking at udebs, it seems you want to
>> be loading this one, probably manually if you're at an early stage:
>> efi-modules-4.5.0-2-amd64-di_4.5.4-1_amd64.udeb
>>
>> It contains:
>>   ./lib/modules/4.5.0-2-amd64/kernel/drivers/firmware/efi/efivars.ko
>>
>> which is likely to make it possible to access efivars, allowing you
>> to mount them on the mount point (which you mentioned, exists
>> already).
>
>This time I'm using the Stretch Alpha 6 DI. I successfully loaded the
>efivars module as you suggested, however the efivarfs interface remains
>inaccessible, it still cannot be mounted.
>
>I suppose that the efivarfs module has to be loaded too but there is no
>trace of efivarfs.ko in the DI and I didn't find any udeb containing
>it. Should I load it someway from an external source?

Ah, that's your problem. It looks like we're not including that module
yet. Most EFI variable users like efibootmgr will fall back to the
older interfaces, so we've not noticed this yet.

I'll go and fix that now.

Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,
Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I...