debian installer and local users

So, I've been a debian user for over a decade, and even worked as a debian
admin several times (although I'm more often employed as a RHEL admin). I
recently discovered that the current debian installer forces the creation
of a local user. This is a nice idea, but is not really appropriate for
all installations. This step needs to be optional. I'm installing in an
LDAP environment, where we use network authentication for everything. We
run a local root account for running fsck, fixing boot and ldap problems,
and everything else is LDAP. We now have to remove the forced local
account post-install. It's just an annoyance, but this step really should
be optional.