Status of https preseed support?

wget now provides a wget-udeb, linked against libssl-udeb, to support
https URLs.  What's the next step needed for d-i preseeding to support
https?  I'm interested in helping to make sure this goes in prior to the
next stable release.

If possible, I'd also like to see preseed pass an extra HTTP header or
custom User-Agent (e.g. User-Agent: d-i preseed Debian/$debian-version),
which would make it possible for the server on the other end to detect
preseeding and the version of Debian, and serve up an appropriate
preseed file for that target version.  That would make it easier to just
point to "example.org" rather than "example.org/preseed/stable" (or some
short equivalent), and the server on example.org could then include some
smart logic to serve the appropriate file.

Finally, would it make sense to add a new command-line option, to make
it shorter to preseed an https URL without having to type the full
scheme?  For instance, instead of "auto url=https://example.org/";,
perhaps just "auto s=example.org"?

- Josh Triplett