Re: [RFC] screen/tmux support for network-console
- To: Martin Michlmayr <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: email@example.com, Philipp Kern <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [RFC] screen/tmux support for network-console
- From: Roger Shimizu <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 23:07:50 +0900
- Message-id: <[🔎] CAEQ9gEm4-2wyMJLYN7FCSuHQCfZge14e3X0f3izXCoNAQTMLoA@mail.gmail.com>
- In-reply-to: <20160229174105.GA13506@jirafa.cyrius.com>
- References: <CAEQ9gEk=KaJpjtRF99gigHr4Q+Z_9oTmXQgYNFDf-W8FxA=YNA@mail.gmail.com> <20160219205744.GB4500@jirafa.cyrius.com> <CAEQ9gE=DWjZgkAd=v_WLhC_2UV+7YMzrpgQRqh46ARoszF5Ovg@mail.gmail.com> <20160223190211.GA17471@jirafa.cyrius.com> <CAEQ9gEk_zyBwHOsRJJrfTLxQG8k0zWK+vxCpNfPowyLmmkr4ww@mail.gmail.com> <20160224204155.GA27311@jirafa.cyrius.com> <CAEQ9gEmvEjFfmPKepEZNfsg0+MHgni=poZwY6fkVTmnmB6oTpQ@mail.gmail.com> <20160229174105.GA13506@jirafa.cyrius.com>
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:41 AM, Martin Michlmayr <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> > You can put local udebs in build/localudebs
> Just copy the .udeb into the directory. daily-build will update it.
Thanks for your guidance!
I put screen-udeb to build/localudebs, with a few screen's dependency
library, which is currently .deb pull from regular apt repo.
Yes, network-console target build well (qnap failed due to size
problem), and boot well on my linkstation.
After that, I tried to find how to hook "screen" into d-i/ssh session.
Now I know, the project is rootskel , /etc/passwd shows the shell
is "/bin/network-console", so it's the entry point when ssh shell is
Then "/bin/network-console" will call the following scripts:
I changed script /bin/network-console , to let it call "screen
/bin/sh" rather than "/sbin/debian-installer
Put the modified network-console udeb into build/localudeb/ folder and
build d-i image again.
In this way “ssh installer@<IP>” end up a shell within screen.
I confirm the screen works well, I can easily create another shell by
So the screen is basically working.
But calling the original "/sbin/debian-installer
/bin/network-console-menu" command fails, and show the error message:
*** Error in `debconf': munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x01146cac ***
I traced, and found the issue occurred in the final line of script
exec debconf -o d-i $MENU
I guess debconf just crashed.
Of course, it only crashes in screen shell. In normal shell it runs fine.
So, how to solve it? Currently I have no clue yet.
Except for the crash in debconf, I have other a few questions:
- all libraries screen-udeb depends on need to be udeb? If I were DD,
there'll be some NMU. But I'm not, it seems I need to open plenty of
tickets to submit patches and RFS, etc..
- Currently I'm trying on Linkstation boxes, so need to build / copy
image to HDD / move HDD to Linkstation, etc. too overhead, so I'm
wondering whether there's quick way to test the network-console image.
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo