Re: Debian Jessie - Incorrect permissions on /bin directory

On mar., 2016-02-02 at 16:23 +0100, HacKurx wrote:
> Hi,

Hey,

> I just saw that the /bin directory does not have the correct
> permissions (775 instead of 755).

Interesting, I saw that on few boxes but we didn't push the investigation too
far.

For other people: it matters because on a grsec enabled system with trusted
path execution, users are not able to execute binaries from folders with group
group writable bit. In this case the group is root so might not not matter
that much, but it's still a bit surprising (afaict /bin and /usr/bin have
always been 755). And not beeing able to execute stuff from /bin is a bit
surprising.

> This error is made during installation in the "target" directory.
> View capture.

It doesn't actually say much…

> Tested by debian-8.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Good to know. I'm actually unsure if the problem lies in debootstrap or
somewhere else. debian-boot, any idea?

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis