Re: dark theme boot menu?

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:24:44 +0100
Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>During discussions, it was raised that selecting the dark theme is not
>really convenient: on the syslinux images one has to press tab and
>append theme=dark, and on the grub images, one has to edit the grub
>entry...
>
>So it was suggested that the dark theme could be an additional boot
>entry, thus making it easy to select.
>
>This of course raises the question: where will this end, will we end up
>with dozens of boot entries, making the boot menu unusable? :)
>
>The speech case is very particular, in that it's an entirely different
>debconf frontend.  In the case of color themes, we could imagine to add
>shortcuts to the frontend instead, thus also making it easier to choose
>among various colorsets which can suit various impairements.
>
>This BTW raises the question of documenting shortcuts. For now, the
>newt frontend prints "<Tab> moves; <Space> selects; <Enter> activates
>buttons" there is not much more room, and the gtk frontend doesn't print
>any, I guess it assumes that the gtk shortcuts are well-known.  We could
>perhaps add an F1 shortcut, which would print all the shortcuts?  Of
>course, there is always the "bootstrapping issue" of somebody not being
>able to read the shortcut panel because it's too small or not proper
>colors, etc. but there is no miracle solution here anyway.
>
>What do people think about it?
>
>Samul

The more you add, the more you will be asked to add. Also, adding
extras makes it that much harder to not add next time.

I do like a key that shows all shortcuts. That list can be very long,
as long as it is page-able or fits the screen. A list that is easy to
call up is always beneficial. Showing how to make the screen change or
even documenting it in the website also helps everyone understand how
to make things happen. If the user knows to hit F1 for the various
options, they will also learn which shortcut key to hit for their
particular situation.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914