Re: TS-109, TS-209 and TS-409 installer support for jessie

Hi Martin,

Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> (2016-01-03):
> The QNAP TS-109, TS-209 and TS-409 NAS devices were supported by
> Debian installer until Debian 6.0.  They were dropped for 7.0 because
> the installer initrd would no longer fit in flash. (Debian itself
> continued to work fine, just without an installer.)  Users were told
> to install with Debian 6.0 and then upgrade to 7.0 and now to 8.0.
> Recently, Debian 6.0 was removed from the Debian mirrors and I
> received a number of emails from users.  Fortunately, they can use
> archive.debian.org to install Debian 6.0.
>
> However, this prompted me into getting a TS-109 from eBay.  As it
> turns out, we can support these devices in both stable and unstable
> thanks to XZ compression and some other minor changes.
>
> I commited the changes to debian-installer git master last week and
> performed a successful installation of stretch.  I cherry picked the
> changes to the jessie branch and also performed a successful
> installation.

Great!

> I'd like to apply the changes to the jessie branch before 8.3.  Is
> that ok?  I think it falls under "hardware support" and has only a
> small possibility of breaking stuff (I renamed the TS-x1x initrd for
> consistency.)

First thing: I'm very fine with the kind of changes you're proposing.

As far as timing goes: If it were a random set of changes, I'd slightly
prefer if we could release a new stretch d-i version first (and get some
testing with it); but since you authored these patches and tested the
resulting image, I think it's reasonable not to wait.

Just a reminder: Stretch should get its new release somewhen this week
if stuff goes fine; and p-u freeze is the weekend after that (Jan 16-17).
I haven't checked with the release folks yet whether they have more
changes affecting d-i yet, so not sure whether d-i's getting uploaded
before p-u freeze or afterwards.

> FWIW, I need:
>
> git cherry-pick 065730 # Exclude usb-serial-modules from the armel network-console image
> git cherry-pick f94738 # Exclude usb-modules explicitly on armel/orion5x network-console
> git cherry-pick 3966d6 # Drop the file extension from the initrd for QNAP devices
> git cherry-pick a89d48 # Re-introduce installer images for QNAP TS-x09
> git cherry-pick b81fcc # Drop the initrd extension for QNAP

It seems the patches you posted all were generated with -x, which is
nice. I'd normally use -s as well when cherry-picking, but that's not
really needed since you're the original author anyway.

So, from my point of view, looks like you can push all these.

Thanks!

Mraw,
KiBi.