Re: network-console on armhf

On Jan 3, 2016, at 6:11 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:

> * Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> [2016-01-03 18:06]:
>>> And is anyone using network-console on armhf yet? (Just wondering
>>> if I can make changes without breaking things)
>>
>> I have two Cubox-i4pro (armhf) machines that I installed jessie on
>> recently using network console (ssh in to run the installer, so I
>> don’t have to restrict myself to a 24x80 “screen” session.  It
>> worked fine.
>
> How did you configure the network?  I guess you completed those steps
> on the serial console and then switched over to SSH?

Prior to starting the install, I set up the local dns and dhcp server (a Toshiba laptop running dnsmasq) with the ethernet and IP addresses for the machines.
For the early stages of the install, I connected to the serial (USB) console and walked it thru the steps (including the automatic network setup).
Early-on in that process, I hit “back-up” enough times to get to the top-level menu.
From there, I changed priority to “low” (i.e. “expert” install).
When it asked if I wanted to load any non-standard modules, I opted for “network install” and just answered questions til it got to the point of telling me I could log in remotely.  So I did, and it all worked from there.

I’m sure all that could be done with pre-seed, but I didn’t do it that way.
Someday I’ll see if I can do a completely automated install with pre-seed.

Rick